Professional development for a more resilient arts sector
These workshops cover a variety of topics to help artists and arts organizations gain skills and knowledge to run their businesses.
Have a request for our next workshop? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Sell Your Art & Craft Online
WEDNESDAY, MAY 20, 2020
1:00 – 2:00 PM
This workshop is for artists and craftspeople who normally sell their products at craft fairs, powwows, or other in-person markets. In this presentation, we will discuss how to switch from selling in-person to selling online. Participants will learn about the value of having a social media presence, tips for taking high-quality photos with your smartphone, and options for e-commerce websites.
Navigating Contracts during COVID-19
Wednesday, May 27, 2020
1:00 – 2:00 PM
During the ongoing pandemic, many events and festivals are being postponed or cancelled due to physical distancing restrictions, impacting both arts organizations and individuals alike. On Wednesday, May 27 Michelle Willette and Todd Stanley, partners at the St. John’s law firm Cox & Palmer, will offer a legal perspective of the potential implications of COVID-19 on employment and commercial contracts.
Maintaining Respectful Workplaces
POSTPONED – NEW DATE TBD
Canada’s Cultural Human Resources Council (CHRC) is supporting efforts to address all kinds of harassment in arts workplaces (including sexual harassment bullying, discrimination and violence), and to lay the groundwork for “respectful workplaces” as the norm in the cultural sector. Jenn Deon will facilitate the official CHRC’s Maintaining Respectful Workplaces workshop, which will explore how to best deal with harassment situations.
Past topics have included:
- Tax Tips for Artists
- Incorporation vs. Sole Proprietorship
- Writing Contracts
- Arts Management Intensive
- Grant Writing
- Income Tax for Freelance Artists
- Fundraising for the Arts 101
- Major Gifts, Making the Ask and Donor Stewardship
- Handling Personal Information
- Strategic Planning
- How to Finance Your Creative Enterprise
- Nonprofit Governance Best Practices
- Intellectual Property Law
- Developing a Marketing Plan
- Developing an Artist Statement
- Facebook for Artists
- What’s in a Brand?
- Creative Entrepreneurship
- Employment Law for Arts Organizations
- Navigating Corporate Sponsorships